Makes 6 x 500 ml jars (or use these proportions)
4 kg crab apples
1 kg caster sugar
The juice of 1 lemon
- Wash the apples, removing any bruised fruit. Put in a saucepan, fill with water to just cover the apples.
- Bring to the boil and simmer until the fruit is soft (about 30 minutes).
- Pour the pulp into a jelly bag or several layers of muslin and let drip overnight into a pan. Do NOT squeeze the bag or it will make the juice cloudy.
- The next day, measure the juice, and add sugar in the ratio of 10 parts juice to 7 of sugar. Add some lemon juice, then bring to the boil, stirring to dissolve the sugar.
- Keep at a rolling boil for 40 minutes, skimming off the froth. To test the set, chill a dessertspoon in the refrigerator.
- When the jelly is set, it will solidify on the back of the spoon. Pour into warm, sterilised preserving jars and tightly seal while still slightly warm. Store in a cool dark place.
Recipe shared by Mila Campoy